Blogger Widgets

Saturday 13 April 2013

Baked Chicken Drumstick (Asian Style)

What to eat?  What to cook for dinner?  This is the common question frequently run into my head everyday.  As being the cook for the family, I am sure some of you might have to think ahead the menu to prepare for that day.  And most headache one is, if a member of the family is one picky of certain food, or if another member having cough or cold, we have to avoid deep fry food, or and so go on and on....

I think the easier way for me is Baked Chicken!

 
Baked Chicken Drumstick (Asian Style)
Recipe inspired from Greedy Gourmet 

Ingredients
olive oil, to drizzle
10 chicken drumsticks 
sea salt & black pepper to rub on the chicken

Glaze Sauce
6 tbsp honey
3 tbsp fish sauce   (I add only 2 tbsp)
1½ tbsp light soy sauce
 lemon lemons  (I only use 1 lemon)
3 tbsp rice wine vinegar 
1½ tbsp sesame oil
some whole shallots (optional)

Preheat the oven to 140°C.
Lightly oil a large baking dish. Season the drumsticks with salt and pepper and arrange in the dish in a single layer. Drizzle over a little olive oil, cover with foil and bake in the oven for 40 minutes.

Prepare the glaze in the meantime. Mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl until evenly combined.
Take the chicken out of the oven and increase the temperature to 180°C.
Pour over the glaze and coat each drumstick.  (You may add in the whole shallots or garlic if you wish).
Return the chicken to the oven and bake for another 20 minutes, turning several times, until the chicken is tender and nicely glazed.
Let the chicken rest for a few minutes before serving. 


At first I wasn't really sure whether this Asian style baked chicken would taste good because right after I have prepared the mix glaze sauce and give it a sip taste.....oh....very the 'soya sauce taste' but nevertheless just give it a go....


I served this Baked Chicken Drumsticks with steamed rice and baked tomatoes.

One picky member of my family, keep saying this chicken is very delicious for almost ten times!
"Ho chiak"






18 comments:

  1. this certainly looks ho chiak! perfect for a weeknight dinner ^^ and i have all the ingredients too ^^ can't wait to try this easy recipe out next week! thanks, mel ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. It look Ho Chiak for me too, and I love this baked chicken still has gravy , so can pour on rice sure yummy !! Thanks for sharing .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am often in your situation... what to cook? :(
    oooh yummy to banjir my plate of rice :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that its such a headache to have to plan menus! This baked chicken dish is bound to be a crowd pleaser... looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to hear the word 'Ho Chiak' and I'm the sauce and the chicken must be very delicious. More rice please :) Oops! at this hour??... haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do agree that no one says no to chicken. My favourite way of cooking chicken is banging it in the oven. Love the seasonings you've used, Mel, especially the fish sauce. That always makes chicken extra tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful chicken dish and I love the sauce...keeps the chicken moist and flavorful.
    Have a great weekend Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mel, u r right what to eat is very difficult decision .,, I only have husband n me but I am also struggle with "what to eat".

    This dish looks so yummy! Chicken wings n drumsticks are my freezer must have items.. Thanks for sharing such an easy n delicious recipe

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would like one too, am sure it is very moist!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mel,
    You've made the right choice! Nobody would be picky over this, looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think this chicken dish looks delicious too! I would say ho chiak if I can taste it:D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Mel, I love the way you baked these chicken drumstick looks mouthwatering!!! They must be very "Ho Chiak" :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mel, no need to taste also I know this is Ho Chiak! I want to try it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Mel! I would say this is not totally Asian but kind of fusion... It doesn't matter what style is this as long as it taste good! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. does this taste sweet and sour? anyway, it looks ho chiak to me too!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Mel,

    This looks really nice and easy to bake and serve. Like what Alvin said, I think this is more fusion rather than Asian. Fusion or Asian, I wouldn't reject a piece of these yummy chicken...

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  17. I also find baked chicken one of the easiest to prepare. Just leave in the oven and set the timer :) Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mel,
    This looks so sedaplicious .
    Love the gravy, will eat lots of steam rice...:D
    mui

    ReplyDelete